Page 27 - The Times Titanic Souvenir 1988
P. 27
oF* f, TIIT TITAIIIC STllRY (continuedfrompage26) prevent the men returning to save others. Meanwhile, in collapsible C, J. Bruce Ismay sat with his back to the Titanic. He could not bear to see her end. The Countess of Rothes handled the tiller of lifeboat Number Eight and so impressed the seaman in charge that he later pre- sented her with the boat's metal number. Benjamin Guggenheim, dressed in his best, prepared to die like a gentleman while his mistress escaped. George Widener and his son died together, His wife survived and devoted the rest of her life to charitable works. Her father-in-law kept his financial inter- ests with the IMM despite the death of his son and grandson. Ihe sea was littered with dead bodies In lifeboat Number Six, most of the passengers wanted to return to pick up other survivors. Hitchens, the Titanic's helmsman, overruled everyone by graphically describing how the people in the water would capsize their boat if they tried. It is difficult to imagine how cold it was that night for those in the water. Of the 18 boats successfully launched only nvo returned to the scene. Lifeboat Number Four was the first to turn back, with four crewmen and 36 women on board. The women pulled five crewmen from the water. The water was so cold that within 30 minutes of Titanic sinking, two had died. When Number Four rejoined a small flotilla of boats tied to- gether, Fifth Officer Lowe decided to transfer passengers from Number 14 until it was sufficiently empty to make a rescue attempt. The crewmen could hardly row - all around the sea was littered with the dead, held upright by their cork lifejackets. One of the crewmen turned over several bodies but it was too late for many of them. Lowe found just four alive, two passengers and two crew members, but one of these died later in the night. The writer William T. Stead, the painter Frank D. Millet and Major Archibald Butt all died but their bod- ies were never recov- ered. In lifeboat umber Two, Fourth Vidton fock to the gave ol i Dawron In llova Scode htt lt har nofthg to do wltr Officer Boxall burned thc charac'ter ln tllc flm. Ilrru ale 121 the green flares taken drer Tltan&vlc{mr ln Frlrdery otnctry from the Titanic's wheelhouse to attract separate iceberg, to float in my bath. I the attention of a res- could take a bus tour, which would swing cue ship. The last one by the pier from which the cable ships was seen by those on departed to find their grisly cargo, the temporary morgue sites where the bodies board the Carpathia. were stored, the churches where memorial : Captain Rostron ord- services were held. ered rockets to be The Carpathiu first on the sene, was not as fast as the Perhaps it all wouldn't begin to strike me fired in reply and at Tilanic and the rescue mission tookfour crucial hours as a little strange, a little morbid, were it 4am the Cunard liner finally arrived at the estimated position not for the fact that only a few miles away given by theTitanic's desperate wireless operator. divers are bringing up the wreckage of All around the ship were large numbers of icebergs as the crew Swissair Flight lll. began to pick up survivors from the lifeboats which were scattered The local papers are filled with news of over several miles of ocean. the crash and how it is affecting Halifax ' Rostron reported that there was very little wreckage when he and Haligonians. got near to the scene of the disaster, a few steamer chairs, cork life- Halifax is a pretty quiet place. It is a place where things change slowly. Maybe and one body. The rescue operation had taken four hours too slowly for comfort. I as the Carpathia briefly cruised the area in search of more ivors, two services were held. The first was a short prayer for Erica Wagner stayed at the Holiday Inn Select, Halifax, Nova s@tia (m] 902 423 116l), courtesy 705 who had been rescued. the second. a funeral of Tourism Halifax' 'service for those who had died. (continued on page 30)
   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32